there’s this restaurant in the chef’s hometown, grand junction, co., that serves this delicious beet salad. that’s something i didn’t necessarily see myself typing — delicious beet salad. but it is. then the other day we went out in baltimore with our neighbor besties, peter + jenny, and had another delicious beet salad. and now its october and beets are in their prime season so i thought the next place a delicious beet salad should be, is in my kitchen. and now it is. see:
this recipe is for the chef’s mom, who always gets beets at restaurants, but never at the grocery because the chef’s dad doesn’t like them. we’ll make this for you when you come visit ; )
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1 c. water
1 shallot, diced
3 tbsp. mayo
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
the thing about beets though, is you kind of have to decide you want to eat them, the day before you want to eat them. you have to boil the beets before you can peel them — and it’s way easier to peel them if you let them sit overnight in water in the refrigerator, after they’re boiled.
- cut the beets in half, and boil them with the honey and vinegar for about an hour. add more water if needed to cover beets completely.
- allow beets to rest in fridge in water overnight.
- wearing gloves, peel beets.
- wearing gloves, dice beets into ~1/4 inch peices.
- mix beets in bowl with diced shallot, white vinegar, mayo and salt.