sounds gross, right? well, i’ll tell ya, it definitely tastes “healthy”… but it’s a dessert without dairy, and those are the only kinds of desserts i can eat these days. mila has a milk protein allergy, and the dairy i was eating was making her belly hurt so bad. it took a little while for us to realize that was what was making her so upset, but once i cut dairy out of my diet she started feeling much better, so — i’m dairy free, for now.
cut to this cake. it’s not the best cake i’ve ever eaten, that’s for sure… it needs butter, butter, butter. but it smells amazing and tastes pretty good and satiates my desire for dessert, at least tonight.
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 lemon (zest + juice)
pinch of salt
1 cup ap flour
5 tablespoons almond milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
+optional turbinado and confectioners sugar for garnishing
- preheat oven to 350. grease + flour an 8 inch (or as close as you have) pan. this cake doesn’t really rise that much so you don’t need much extra room.
- peel, core and thinly slice apples. squeeze lemon juice over apples to prevent oxidation and to make the cake extra lemony!
- combine eggs, brown sugar, zest from lemon, and pinch of salt. mix well.
- add flour, almond milk and baking powder. mix.
- add apples + lemon juice. mix.
- pour into pan and top with turbinado sugar to get a little sweet crunch on the top.
- bake for 35 minutes.
- cool and top with confectioners sugar.
okay, hitting the recipe books to find more (hopefully yummier) dairy free desserts. ignore me as i sit over here and dream about triple layer chocolate mousse cakes…