confession: i think i only like baking because the final product is so pretty!
now that plums are coming into season, i’ve been trying a few new ways to use them and so far roasting is my go-to. this cake is designed to be eaten cold, the perfect dessert after a warm spring or summer day. the shell is a homemade, pre-baked pastry crust, slathered with a honey + cream cheese topping and finished with a pile of bright, shiny plums. goes particularly well with sweet tea and blue skies and i’m not 100% sure but i think it would taste even better if eaten in the hills of appalachia (i’m kind of missing my west virginia roots lately, ya’ll).
since you can’t fix perfection, here’s the recipe for the pie shell: martha stewart’s simple pie crust. It use this crust recipe about once a week for sweet and savory purposes. it’s the best.
for the filling, you’ll need:
4-5 lbs. ripe plums
2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. granualted sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 c. heavy cream
3 tbsp. honey
*footnote (at the top because i’m too impatient to read all the way through recipes), make sure all components of this pie are cooled before you assemble, otherwise the honey + cream cheese filling will melt and your pie will not be beautiful. trust me. this will happen. just let it cool!
- bake pie crust according to recipe, until golden brown. allow to cool completely.
- set oven to 350.
- half and pit plums. using two casserole dishes, place plums cut-side down, packing brown sugar in and around the fruit. we’re using two casserole dishes so the plums don’t overlap and are able to roast all the way through. roast until juices are thick and bubbling, about 45-60 minutes.
- whip granulated sugar, cream cheese, heavy cream and honey.
- once plums are roasted, transfer with a slotted spoon to a spill-proof container and chill in refrigerator.
- pour juices from plums into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil on stovetop. reduce juices to half a cup of thick syrup.
- assemble pie! if crust is completely cooled, spread cream cheese mixture on top then stack with chilled plum halves. top with syrup.
- ta da! ; )
you can also serve with whipped or ice cream, and top with syrup. all of the components of this pie can be made a day ahead of time, and assembled before serving.