the chef’s favorite breakfast is pancakes. every morning we have off together, the first thing he says when he wakes up is, “let’s have pancakes.” fine by me, especially if he does the flipping. i mix, he flips. when i flip it’s a total catastrophe and we eat semi-burned pancakes.
here are a few fun recipes for the best breakfast in bed ever, in three easy steps:
1. get out of bed
2. make breakfast
3. get back in bed and eat.
blueberry + lemon pancakes, cayenne candied bacon and roasted spiced plums. maybe too decadent for every day, but perfect for the weekend : )
the lemon zest makes the pancakes taste so fresh and the yogurt makes them totally sweet. the cayenne in the bacon puts a totally different twist on the trendiness of typical candied bacon. and these roasted plums, omg. the best thing ever. the plums are also perfect for dessert, just add creme fraiche.
for the pancakes, you’ll need:
2 c. ap flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 c. plain yogurt (or vanilla if you’re feeling wild!)
1 stick melted butter + 1 tbsp.
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
zest + juice of one lemon
- sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder + salt.
- in separate bowl, whisk eggs. add milk, yogurt, melted butter, vanilla, lemon zest + juice. mix.
- pour wet mix into dry mix. combine.
- fold in blueberries.
- heat griddle or nonstick pan. melt some butter, drop in pancake mix. when pancakes start to bubble and pop, flip. yum!
that’s a picture of the bubbles starting. it should be more bubbly before you flip, but my more bubbly picture was too ugly to share ; )
for bacon, you’ll need:
thick cut bacon
1 tsp. brown sugar per bacon slice
1/4 tsp. cayenne per bacon slice
- preheat oven to 400.
- line baking sheet with foil and put baking rack in pan. the rack isn’t 1000% necessary, but it will make the bacon much crispier, because it allows air to get underneath the bacon. otherwise i’ll just soak in it’s grease / melted sugar.
- lay bacon out on rack. pack sugar on each strip. sprinkle cayenne on top.
- bake for 20 minutes or until crisp!
drum roll please!
roasted + spiced plums! omg!
plums, halved + pitted
1 tsp. brown sugar per plum half
pinch of cinnamon per plum half
1 star anise per plum half (optional!)
- preheat oven to 400 (same as bacon – yay!)
- line baking sheet with foil.
- cut a small slice off the round end of plum halves, so they sit flat on foil.
- top plums with sugar, cinnamon and optional star anise.
- roast for 20 minutes, or until soft and juicy! drool!
if you’re as into roasted plums as i am right now, try this roasted honey + plum pie!
full disclosure: these pictures are from a few weeks ago. the chef’s in the kitchen right now making strawberry pancakes….. yum! happy sunday!
what’s your favorite pancake flavor / filling / topping?!