steven and i have been binge watching every season of top chef lately. pretty much all we do is feed mila, change mila, play with mila — and watch top chef. oh, and steven squeezes twelve hour work days in there somehow. so, on season thirteen, amar makes this beautiful heirloom carrot salad. we watched that episode like, three weeks ago and i was still thinking about it, so when i saw these beautiful carrots i knew i had to try and recreate! this salad — so perfect! great as a side dish, or as a stand alone for lunch!
you could make this dish with orange carrots, but it’s so much more beautiful with the contrasting colors.
2 lbs. heirloom carrots
olive oil, salt, pepper
1 tsp. chopped thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- set oven to 400. oil a sheet pan (or use a silpat).
- peel and quarter carrots. if they still seem quite large, cut into sixths. then chop into roughly two inch long sticks.
- toss carrots in oil, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano.
- cover with foil to avoid burning, and put in oven for 30 minutes. lower oven to 375, remove foil and cook for another 15.
- toss carrots with fresh parsley. add salt and/or pepper to taste.
the brightness of the parsley really freshens this plate — it’s a must.
oh, and that plate. steven made it in a ceramics class we took in chevy chase while i was pregnant with mila! it was such a fun class. and seriously, is there anything steven can’t do? ugh. that guy. so good at everything.